Tuesday, April 7, 2009

2004 Toyota Sienna oil change


Where are the key parts located?

Oil cap and dipstick:
The red arrow points to the oil cap and the yellow arrow points to the oil dipstick.

Enginer oil drain plug:
That is located at the bottom of the engine block, marked up with a red arrow. For your reference the tire you can see in the background is the left front tire.

Oil filter:
It is very difficult to see it from above. The oil filter is located right underneath the metal cover, in the direction, where the red arrow points to.
A very interesting and positive design implementation from Toyota is the plastic cover, that supposed to collect the dripping oil when you remove the oil filter. This black plastic part (see red arrow) is right under the oil filter - top view:
Looking at the same location but from underneath the vehicle:
green arrow: vent on the front of the vehicle
blue arrow: the metal cover that was hiding the oil filter looking from the top (see picture for oil filter location above)
red arrow: the oil filter
yellow arrow: oil filter drain


Tools you will need:
- 14mm wrench to loosen the drain plug
- Oil pan
- Paper towel
- maybe an oil filter wrench => I do not have any recommendation as in my case there was no need for any tool to loosen the oil filter.
- oil funnel => to avoid oil getting all over the engine block... :-))))
- you might need to raise your vehicle, but in my case it was not necessary. I could reach the drain plug very well, so no need to raise the vehicle. One step less :-)))


Parts:
- 5 quarts of 5W-30 => probably you will not need to use all the 5 quarts. In my case, I chose synthetic oil. Bit more expensive, but best for the engine.
- oil filter => I chose from the FRAM catalog in the store. I have picked the one for extended lifetime as using synthetic oil, I will not plan on replacing the oil in every 3000 miles, but only at every 5000 miles.


Here are the steps, how I changed the engine oil:
1. Locate all the key parts you will have to work with (see the pictures above for reference)
2. Prepare all the tools you will need as well as oil and oil filter
3. Start the engine for a short time, until it warms up and warms up the engine oil as well => Be careful with any parts as well as with the oil itself as things might get very HOT!!! Always act very carfully!!!
4. Place the oil pan underneath the oil drain plug => I try to position the drain plug to be above the middle of the oil pan
5. Remove the drain plug with the 14mm wrench => you have to turn it counter-clockwise!!!
6. Wait until most of the oil is out and the used engine only is only dripping
7. Move the oil pan as much as to cover the area underneath the oil filter => make sure that it will still capture the dripping oil from the oil tank
8. Loosen the oil filter => you have to turn it counter-clockwise!!! Despite it is difficult to see from above, there is a fairly easy access to it. Be careful, as the metal cover above the oil filter is going to be HOT!!!
9. Slowly remove the oil filter => slowly is very important, to let the oil drain while you are slowly removing the filter.
10. Clean the parts: remove any smudges from the oil cap, clean the drain plug as well as the location where you removed the oil filter from.
When you clean the drain plug, please make sure not to loose the sealing ring!!! The below picture is from another vehicle, but still perfect for reference, the ring is marked up with a red arrow:
11. Put the oil drain plug back in place => you have to turn it clockwise!!! First tighten it by hand, then use the 14mm wrench to tighten it a little bit more (in general a 3/4 turn with the wrench is sufficient).
12. Have the oil filter ready for installation: put some of the new engine oil onto the rubber sealing of the oil filter. I missed to take a picture of this step, but found on the internet an excellent picture showing this step (source is http://www.renault4.co.uk/technical/oil-filter.jpg):

13. Put the oil filter back in place => you have to turn it clockwise!!! First the oil filter will go in very easy. Once it stops, tighten it by turning another 3/4 turn, to make sure it is tightened properly.
This is where the oil filter will have to go (bottom view of the engine block, marked up with red arrow):

14. Remove the oil cap and through the oil funnel, start pouring the new engine oil. => I usually pour 3/4 of the amount defined in the vehicle manual and then I wait for a short time, before I check with the dipstick.
BE CAREFUL, YOU DO NOT WANT TO OVERFILL, therefore check the oil level with the dipstick frequently.
15. When the oil level is reaching at least the minimum, I start the engine for a few seconds, to make sure the oil will get everywhere inside the engine. It is normal that after the first startup of your engine it will take 1-2 seconds, until the oil pressure will get back to normal.
16. Check the oil level again and adjust add oil as needed. I always fill up until the middle point between the minimum and maximum mark on the dipstick.

Once you are done with the above steps, your oil change process is still not 100% completed!
- Please make sure you clean up any spots you might have left on the floor/ground.
- Please always recycle the used engine oil, protect your environment!!! Usually stores, where you purchased your new engine oil will take in the used one for free. Wal-Mart, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts are all taking used engine oil.

I hope this description will help you through the engine oil change and you will also realize how easy it is. :-)

Good luck and please let me know in case you think any improvement is needed in this description.

23 comments:

  1. Great page! It had everything I needed to change my oil on my Sienna. I have a 2006 Sienna AWD, the only difference is the oil pan is closer to the right hand side of the car (transmission oil is on the left). Easy to figure out though since the transmission oil seems to use a hex wrench instead of a socket. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Info. Thanks for your time and effort spent on this page for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tsk Tsk Tsk....Why are you using crappy FRAM filters? Do searches on the internet...they show that FRAM oil filters are the worst of the worst...even the high mileage/extended life ones. Good info though. Thanks for you time and effort, i just wanted to tell that to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the info it truly helped.
    I use amsoil oil and filter,very pleased with both. Less changes but more expensive, works out about the same as others but it seems to make my seinna run better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips and great photos. I have to agree with the earlier post about Fram filters they aren't very well made. I prefer Mobil One or Wix based on several articles I've seen where filters have been cut open and carefully examined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really a great step-by-step instructions, you're very good and in detail. God bless you and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You use synthetic oil but a Fram oil filter?
    Even Toyota's Thailand-made inexpensive oil filters would be a better filter than this 'Though Guard' cra..

    Thanks for the illustrated explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely described each step! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. do you have to change the oil filter gasket with every oil change? and, how do you match the filter? is it a different gasket with differnt filter? or, same for that year make and model. i have an 06 toyota sienna awd limited and will be changing my oii from now on since warranty has expire. i have the 90915-yzzg1 OE filter. unsure of the gasket. please help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. don"t worry....filter gaskets are an integral part of filters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post, thank you. How is your Sienna running? Do you use regular grade or premium fuel? I think that engine is rated for premium, but I don't think it is mandatory. My friend worked at the Wix factory many years ago and he told me they slapped different labels on their filters for different companies. So they were all the same under the paint...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent post.
    I'm an old geeser from the analog era ... ya know ... dwell meters, timing lights and stuff like that. Time was I could do an overhaul/rebuild with common tools. No more. For years my son, Dan, took care of oil changes etc. He's gone, but the oil still needs changed. So I drug my weary 80yo a$$ under the wifes van and squinted at a damn allen plug. This can't be right! Called Dan. Yup it's the tranny plug, but he forgot where the oil plug was. Walla!! Found this thread with pictures, directions, and a civil answer to my dumb question ..."where is it"? Just move the jack to the passangers side, lift its skirt higher than your head, and you'll find it for sure.
    A word on filters and oil. I once changed oil every 1000 miles (filters every other oil change). Then every 2500 miles. Then 4000 miles. Now they're saying 7500 miles. I do the 4k thing with ANY available filter and specked oil. I have put over 200k miles on equipment without engine failure. My memory tells me its the short hops under 30 minutes and our alcohol addiction adding to the acid content of the "dirty" oil - common or synthetic - hanging out in the oil pan. The oil filter collects little bitty chunks of metal and crap. But then I use Marvel oil and seafoam! Like the male enhancement thing, it's a play to your weaker? side. Just remember, you can run your engine without gas but NEVER without oil.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. God bless the internet in general, and you in particular, L Tee!

    Never thought I'd find information so specific to my year, make and model...but there it was! And a great help, too!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where is the oil drain plug on 2000 Toyota sienna van?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankyou!

    Just followed you post to do an oil change on a 2002 sienna.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Change oil on my 2003 today, and I saw no oil in the filter that I removed from the van. Anyone know why ?
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very well explained,GOOD JOB!!!!, keep up the good work.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. very helpful. thank you for this posting & photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Superb presentation - very clear, very useful

    ReplyDelete
  20. After reading your post, I feel that I can try my first oil change. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very articleriffic, and helped me change my oil. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing Blog Thanks For Sharing information. Fleet Service. No one does quick, easy and trusted fleet maintenance better than Valvoline Instant Oil Change. Help keep your drivers on the road

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am an auto technician but In the collision side of service - I say you have a very educated and practical description to self help in this area - many thanks for taking the time, others and I do appreciate this very much !

    ReplyDelete